How do I get US citizenship through my parents?

New Jersey Citizenship Attorneys

If you are a child that may have been born abroad, you still may have US citizenship, depending on the citizenship status of your parents and maybe even your grandparents. A knowledgeable, seasoned immigration attorney will need to look at various factors, such as:

  • the laws in place prior to the child’s date of birth.
  • see if both or one of the child’s parents were citizens at the time of the child’s date of birth.
  • see if parents had a physical presence or residence in the United States before the child’s birth.
  • if the parents did not have citizenship, check to see if the grandparents have legal citizenship.
  • see if the child lost citizenship due to previous enacted laws.

As one can see, if one parent was not a legal US citizen, or if the child was born abroad, the claim to the child’s US citizenship may not be that easily defined. With the multiple factors to consider, you can easily get confused if you may be a legal US citizen or not. This is why retaining a professional immigration lawyer who will walk you through the entire process as well as protect your rights, is a worthwhile investment. Contact the Law Offices of Jef Henninger, Esq., today at 732-383-6242 to speak with one of our highly skilled Red Bank citizenship lawyers with our free initial consultation.

Posted on March 28, 2013, in Articles and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: