Am I eligible to become a United States citizen?
New Jersey Naturalization Lawyers
There are a couple of requirements one must meet in order to become a United States citizen. In order to properly naturalize, the foreign national must:
- Pass a United States government and history test
- Have been a permanent resident in the country legally for at least five years (this requirement changes if you have been married to a US citizen which changes it to three years)
- Give an oath of loyalty to the United States of America
- Have been physically present in the country for over 50% of the five year requirement
- Being able to write, read and speak English
- Being a good, moral person
Foreign nationals can also get naturalized by being sponsored by a US citizen, through birth or through acquisition or derivation. Naturalization can also get revoked, so it is important to have a knowledgeable and aggressive naturalization lawyer on your side. At the Law Offices of Jef Henninger, Esq., our professional, hard-hitting citizenship attorneys will explain the naturalization process, steps, and go over what is required in order to become a legal United States citizen. Contact our law office at 732-383-6242 to schedule a free initial consultation with a Jersey City naturalization attorney today.
Posted on March 28, 2013, in Articles and tagged Becoming a Citizen, Common Concerns, Immigration Attorneys in Hudson County, Jersey City Naturalization Attorney, Naturalization, New Jersey, New Jersey Immigration Lawyer, United States Citizenship. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.